Adult Jewish Education in Kansas City
Jewish Experiences at The J
The Jewish Community Center is dedicated to enhancing the understanding of Jewish history, values, and culture. One of the many ways we do this is through offering classes for adult Jewish education in Kansas City. A variety of activities from seminars to conversation groups enable individuals from all backgrounds to engage and learn about the Jewish culture in a friendly, judgement free, adult Jewish education environment.
The question we often receive is, "Do you have to be Jewish to participate?" No! Just like The J, these events and opportunities are open and welcoming to all. Whether you're a faithful Jew looking to further one's understanding and relationship with the Torah, you're new to our community and want to have a better understanding and appreciation of Jewish values, or are just curious, these programs are for you.
Spiritual Healing + Meditation
Rosh Chodesh New Moon Women's Circle
The first monthly gathering for women of all ages!
Monthly Meeting | 8-9 pm
Location: ZOOM - Check TheJKC.org/Events for monthly link
No Jewish knowledge or level of observance is required. Open to all women. Celebrate the beginning of the new lunar cycle. Facilitated by Dr. Hadas Moshonov-Cohavi, the group will explore attributes of the Hebrew month and its astrological sign according to the Hebrew Zodiac. An informal discussion will be followed by a guided meditation.
This program is designed to be a monthly gathering place where women will leave feeling relaxed, empowered, and spiritually charged as they welcome in the new month, says Moshovov-Cohavi, who has led Rosh Chodesh groups all over Kansas City.
Upcoming 2020 Dates:
- August 20
- September 14
The Shofar Project
Free Jewish Meditation Program
August 20 - September 18, 2020 | Daily Opportunities
Each week of The Shofar Project will focus on a different aspect of awakening and renewal. Once you sign-up, you will receive emails with the links to video teachings and a variety of live online events that explore the week’s theme, as described below. Participate in as many program elements as you’d like as often as you can. No Jewish knowledge or level of observance is required. Open to all.
- A live 30-minute daily (Monday-Friday) Jewish mindfulness meditation sit: includes a teaching and guided meditation led by IJS staff and outstanding guest instructors from various Jewish denominations.
- A live 30-minute “Torah Study to Sustain The Soul” each Tuesday: focused on a classic Jewish text with Rabbi Jonathan Slater.
- Live 45-minute Jewish yoga sessions each Monday + Thursday: connect the mind, body, soul.
Chai Mitzvah Journey
On Your Terms. At Your Pace.
Third Fridays | 1:00 - 2:15 pm
Chai Mitzvah is a national program combining informal study, ritual, and social action to create a meaningful personal Jewish journey. All people are welcome, no Jewish knowledge or observance is assumed!
Together we'll deepen our engagement in Judaism through:
- Group exploration: meet monthly with a set curriculum addressing critical Jewish issues (books provided!)
- Independent study: choose a topic to explore from a Jewish perspective
- Ritual: choose a ritual or spiritual practice to incorporate into your life
- Social Action: choose a mitzvah (act of service) to carry out within the Jewish community
What subjects will we explore?
Adult Rites of Passage, Tzedakah and Philanthropy, Individual and Community, Interpersonal Relationships, Mindfulness and Conscious Living, Adding New Insights to the Passover Seder, Israel and the Jewish Spirit, Gratitude, Judaism and the Environment, Leadership, Death and Loss, and The Arc of the Holidays.
Please contact Jill Maidhof to register.
Questions? Please contact Lauren at (913) 327-8007.